In this post, we will provide step by step guide to implement an abandon cart recovery strategy to persuade your customers complete their checkout. This post assumes that you have already installed "Upvert app" on your shopify shop.
Ensure you have created a deal or deal is present on your shop that want offer to customer.
Tips for successful campaign
Abandon cart recovery campaigns done right can have significant impact on overall conversion rate for your shop. There are many solutions to recover cart by sending mail to customers. However, biggest problem is often customers haven't reached the checkout page where you have access to their email ids. There is a significant drop in funnel happens from cart to checkout page.
The "Upvert Cart Recovery" campaigns can help in such scenarios - where you can target and persuade customers with onsite messaging popups without requiring their email id. Following are some tips for how to create an effective campaign using Upvert App -
- Targeted Campaign: Have a focused targeted campaign - trigger campaign only based on their current shopping context. Typical targeting you will look like - when customer have added something to their cart but are about leave your shopping site show them a popup.
- Bridge The Experience: Put careful thought into coming up with enticing product copy. Think of why would customer reconsider their decision and complete the purchase of the products in cart.
- Offer discount: When customers have added products to cart, you already paid for getting to them to site and convinced them its right product. Any drops at this stage is a big loss. Help them with eliminating any second thoughts and nudge them with right offers.
To explain the campaign setup, we will use an example shop that is selling makeup organizers. Customer adds a product to cart and when they are trying to leave the site a popup appears offering a deal as well as very persuading copy to remove second thoughts around completing the purchase.
Campaign Creation Steps
- Login to app from your shopify admin console. Go to https://youshop/admin/apps and click on Upvert app.
- On the campaigns page, create new campaign. Add name something like - "Recipe 14 - Cart Recovery" and objective as - "Cart Recovery".
- From the campaign page, click on "Edit" button next to Display Triggers.
- Here you can set when to show this campaign. Click on "Add trigger" and choose "Exit Intent" option. You can also set whether to show this campaign when customer is on specific product/collection page. In the shopping context section, click on "Add Condition". Choose condition as - when customer's current page is a product detail page and product belonging to Rotating Carousel collection, trigger this campaign. Save the setting and click on "Campaign" link to go back to general configuration.
- Click on "Popup Design". In the "Abandon Cart Recovery Templates" section look for template with tag as - "recipe14". You can change look and feel of the popup later. Select that template and click button "Go".
- Select the deal from the options that you want to show to customer to nudge them to complete purchase. It will automatically populate the deals from your shop.
- Add a sample product id in the next step. This is like assuming customer has added this product to cart.
- You can build the popup visually by clicking on elements and changing them as required. The text below is smart copy is which will be replaced with optimal copy. We will show how to change this for specific product in the next step. You can change the background, font size, color etc.,
- Save the template and go back to campaign. Now click on "Preview Campaign" in the popup design section.
- Add a product and click on preview. You will see product with prepopulated smart copies. You can override the default copy for by clicking on - "override" checkbox. In the text box below add the custom copy that is suitable for this campaign. For rotating carousel, change the copy like - "Streamline and save time during your beauty routine. Stylish and chic - get right touch up with swift spin." Click on "Photo" icon next to it to see the preview. It shows how the popup looks when that specific product was added to cart and customer is about to exit.
- Activate the campaign.
- Now add this product to cart. Go to the next product in same collection like this one. When you try to exit the page you will see the popup you just created - nudging customers to complete the purchase.