In this post, we will provide step by step guide to implement a product recommendation strategy to guide your customers through their shopping experience. This post assumes that you have already installed "Upvert app" on your shopify shop.
Ensure you have created a deal or deal is present on your shop that want offer to customer in response to signup.
Tips for successful campaign
Product recommendations done right can have significant impact on overall conversion rate for your shop. Following are some tips for how to create an effective product recommendation campaign using Upvert App -
- Targeted Campaign: Recommend products that customers find relevant based on their current shopping context. Let's say you are selling iPad Accessories and Smart Watches. Target smart watch like "Apple Watch" to customer when they are browsing products from Smart Watch collection. If loosely target to Smart Watch to customers when they are on any page, you would be loosing a conversion opportunity as well as annoying customers.
- Rely on Auto Optimization: You would use this recipe when you are not sure about best product to show in the customer's shopping context. Instead you give a product collection as input to campaign. System automatically rotates one product at time in the popup to see which one works better. Based on performance, it will automatically optimizes for best performing product. In other words, if productA gets more clicks than productB then productA will be given more opportunities.
To explain the campaign setup, we will use an example shop that is selling iPhone Cases which has 7 different cases, which are part of "iPhone Accessories" collection. We will show how you can set up a campaign to show products from this collection with auto-optimization on.
Campaign Creation Steps
- Login to app from your shopify admin console. Go to https://youshop/admin/apps and click on Upvert app.
- On the campaigns page, create new campaign. Add name something like - "Recipe 13 - Product Recommendations" and objective as - "Increasing Sales".
- From the campaign page, click on "Edit" button next to Display Triggers.
- Here you can set when to show this campaign. Click on "Add trigger" and choose "Exit Intent" option. You can also set whether to show this campaign when customer is on specific product/collection page. In the shopping context section, click on "Add Condition". Choose condition as - when customer's current page is a product detail page and product belonging to "iPhone Accessories" collection, trigger this campaign. Save the setting and click on "Campaign" link to go back to general configuration.
- Click on "Popup Design". In the "Product Recommendation Templates" section look for template with tag as - "recipe13". You can change look and feel of the popup later. Select that template and click button "Go".
- Select the deal from the options that you want to show to customer in response to answering this question. It will automatically populate the deals from your shop.
- Now select the product(s) you want to recommend when customer is on product detail page. Either you can choose a collection or single product. For this example, we will choose a product collection as "iPhone Accessories".
- You can build the popup visually by clicking on elements and changing them as required. The text below is smart copy is which will be replaced with optimal copy. We will show how to change this for specific product in the next step. You can change the background, font size, color etc.,
- Save the template and go back to campaign. Now click on "Preview Campaign" in the popup design section.
- You will see a box - one per product from your selected collection. Each product has a list of auto generated smart copies.
- You can override the default copy by clicking on - "override" checkbox. In the text box below add the custom copy that is suitable for this campaign.
- Click on "Edit" button for "After Signup Design". Discount code for the selected deal will be automatically populated here. Save template and go back to campaign.
- Optionally you can configure to sync up signed up customer email ids to "Klavyio" or "Mailchimp" audience list.
- Activate campaign and see it in running on your shop.